Yat Po Singers, Hong Kong’s first and leading a cappella choral theatre company, presents “This Victoria Has No Secrets”, a musical journey of nostalgia and hope inspired by the iconic Victoria Harbour. Famous for its world-renowned skyline, the harbour also bears witness to Hong Kong’s transformation including the disappearance of Victoria City, a small island which Lord Palmerston denounced as a “barren rock” in 1841. The musical draws the audience together to reminisce on laughter and melancholy as shaped by events, experiences, perceptions and insight. Each of these memories, rooted in a locality, embroiders an album of our memories. Initially commissioned by Tai Kwun as the Opening Programme in 2018, the show by Yat Po Singers’ founding co-artistic directors Ng Cheuk Yin, Yuri Ng, Patrick Chiu and renowned lyricist Chris Shum earned rave reviews and acclaim. It enjoyed a rerun at the Hong Kong City Hall in 2019 with Anna Lo as choral director. Making its triumphant return to Tai Kwun in 2021 with an outdoor version, the production continues to blend historical fragments of the harbour including souvenirs, languages, folklore into a performance poignantly set against the backdrop of Tai Kwun, a significant landmark packed with over a century of history.
Produced by: Yat Po Singers
Performers: Raoul Chan, Dominique Chan, Margaret Cheung, Joseph Ho, Anna Lo, Ma Hin Yung, Ronald Tsang
Music Director / Composer: Ng Cheuk Yin
Director / Stage Designer: Yuri Ng*
Playwright / Lyricist: Chris Shum
Song Arranger: Ng Cheuk Yin, Anna Lo, Keith Wong
Choral Director: Anna Lo
Production Manager: Gloria Ngai
Sound Designer: Jonathan Lam
Prop & Set Designer: Isaac Wong
Make-up & hair Stylist / Coordinator: Jadeson Fu
Wardrobe Supervisor: Gauze Lam
*Appearance by kind permission of City Contemporary Dance Company
- Suitable for all ages
- Approximately 50mins without intermission
- Performed in Cantonese with no surtitle
- Registered participants shall sign in in-person 15 minutes before the event. Any unclaimed quota may be released to walk-in participants 5 minutes before the event. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Programmes are subject to change without prior notice. Tai Kwun reserves the right to make the final decision regarding the arrangements.
- The events will adhere to the latest health and safety regulations and enforce social distancing measures.