Rock as Companion and Ally: The Whispering Tale Beside The Wall
Site-Specific Immersive Theatre The Inner Études
Hundreds of million years ago somewhere in the Northern hemisphere, the earth shook violently. Ashes and smoke billowed and shot through the sky while lava snaked through the lands. When all is calm, a piece of land hard as granite came into existence. A metropolis is miraculously built upon this steep terrain—Hong Kong. These granites, dotted with black dots, continue to be a symbol of strength and endurance used in roads and buildings all over this city while silently guarding people in their daily lives.
Presented by the creative team behind the highlight programme Property Guide at Lou Kau Mansion in the 2021 Macao Arts Festival, The Inner Études is a rock-themed immersive theatre inspired by the Victoria Prison and the geological history of Hong Kong rocks. Wearing headsets, the audience ventures into the century-old prison built with granite and connects with the emotions and experiences of those imprisoned a century ago by being immersed in a collage of projections, lighting, soundscape and performance.
Curated and Produced by: Vividly
Director and Playwright: Lei Pui Weng, Lee Shuk Man
Associate Director and Project Coordination: Amy Chan
Research: Amy Chan, Lee Shuk Man
Concept and Performance Adviser: Chan Chu Hei
Performer: Yuen Che Hung (Uncle Hung Jai), Yau Chung Wai, Lai Chai Ming, Chan Wing Shuen
Multimedia Design: Lei Pui Weng
Scenography and Costume Design: Bill Cheung
Lighting Design: Akimoto Chan, Chan So Yi
Sound Design: Ellison Lau
Recording engineering: Ellison Lau, Law Chun Him
Production and Stage Management: Eva Chau
● Performance lasts for around 60 minutes in Cantonese with no surtitles
● Recommended for ages 12 and above
● Audience is advised to arrive 15 mins before the show starts; No latecomers will be admitted
● Audience is required to walk around various locations. Please assess your physical condition if it is suitable for participation
● Comfortable clothing is recommended
● Programmes are subject to change without prior notice. Tai Kwun reserves the right to make the final decision regarding the arrangements.
● The events will adhere to the latest health and safety regulations and enforce social distancing measures