The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust
Patience and perseverance have been vital in giving people throughout history the fortitude to overcome adversity.
Trey Lee brings together an outstanding group of musicians for this Jockey Club Musicus Heritage Stories series of concerts in the historic surroundings of Tai Kwun, the former Victoria Prison. The theme of the series is “Perseverance”, and features music by a number of great composers who each battled hardship during their lives––Arensky and his addictions to alcohol; Messiaen, who was interned in a prison camp in the Second World War; Schubert and Schumann, who grappled with mental and physical illnesses; and Dohnányi, who went to great lengths to save Jewish musicians during the Holocaust.
Alongside these musical stories from the past will be the premiere of Musicus’ Call for Scores winner Eason Chan’s new composition, which charts the history of Tai Kwun’s prison chapel in various incarnations. The piece showcases the historical setting of Tai Kwun, bringing the former prison to life and serves as a fitting metaphor for Hong Kong’s spirit of perseverance.
Join us at Tai Kwun and immerse yourself in some unforgettable musical stories of the past and present.
Jockey Club Musicus Heritage Stories Concert
Date/ Time: 12 Nov 2022, 7:30pm
Schubert Rondo in A Major, D.951 (for four hands)
Messiaen Quartet for the End of Time, 8th movement, Louange a l'Immortalite de Jesus, duet for violin & piano
Schumann Märchenbilder, Op.113
Dohnányi Piano Quintet, Op.1
Duration: Approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, including an intermission.
Tickets are available at URBTIX
Patrons may enjoy one of the below discount schemes for each purchase where applicable:
- 50% off: Senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and their minder, full-time students and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients. Available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Group Booking Discount for Each Concert: For each purchase of standard tickets, 10% off for 10 tickets or more.
- Musicus Fest Package Discount (Excluding JCMHS Concerts at Tao Fong Shan and Musicus Fest 2022 – Up Close with Musicus Soloists Hong Kong):
- For each purchase of Musicus Fest 2022 concerts, 10% off for ticket(s) of any 2 concerts.
- For each purchase of Musicus Fest 2022 concerts, 20% off for ticket(s) of any 3 concerts.
- For each purchase of Musicus Fest 2022 concerts, 25% off for ticket(s) of any 4 concerts.
In addition to the ticketed concert, the following free events will also be held at Tai Kwun JC Cube:
1. Free Short Concert
Date/Time: 13 Nov 2022, 2:30pm
Programme: Arensky Piano Quintet in D Major, Op.51
2. Free Short Concert
Date/Time: 13 Nov 2022, 4:30pm
Programme: Eason Chan New Work (world première)
Duration of each free concert is approximately 25 minutes, without intermission. Advance registration is required.
Tickets of free events are now open for registration at POPTICKET website on a first-come-first-served basis. A limited quota for guided tours is available. Advance registration is required.
Artistic Director/ Cello: Trey Lee
Violin: Francis Chik Yiu-ting, Fan Hiu-sing
Viola: Aurélie Entringer, Lee Yat
Cello: Jia Nan, Karey Ho*
Piano: Colleen Lee, Zach Cheong
Sheng: Loo Sze Wang
(Please refer to Musicus Society’s website for the artist list of each concert.)
*With kind permission from Hong Kong Sinfonietta
- Concerts are for ages 6 and above.
- Latecomers will only be admitted until a suitable break.
- Participants must follow the anti-pandemic measures and arrangements by the Organizer. The arrangement of activity is possible to be changed in light of COVID-19 and government measures. Please stay tuned for the latest updates on the presenter's website; and follow the instructions of on-site operation staff.
- All the content of works are independently produced by the organiser/ creative team, and do not reflect the views or opinions of the Jockey Club Musicus Heritage Alive project nor The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust.
The above content is provided by Musicus Society